Sunday 12 April 2009

Easter Sunday!

About two weeks back, I was helping out my youth pastor in creating this video for Easter Sunday. Basically, I was doing a voice-over narration of what we might normally include in our gospel-sharing or track and I found myself telling the story of Creation, of Adam and Eve, of Noah, and of course, of Christ.

As I was doing the narration, my pastor was right beside me doing the recording, and he constantly stopped the recording midway just to tell me what kind of emotion, what kind of tone he wanted in a particular line. “Oh, that line needs to be more majestic …” , “just imagine God BREATHING the breath of life into them …”, “Imagine Jesus saying John 3:16 …”

I don’t know about you, but at that moment, my pastor’s words really laid bare for me to see how I myself read the Word, how I interpreted it. More importantly, it set me thinking of who God really is to me. What He means to me when He chose to flood the Earth, and when He subsequently chose to promise never to do it again, when Jesus came down to Earth in a manger in Bethlehem, and of course, when Jesus died for each and everyone of us, and rose from the grave. And, the list goes on, the endless events in the Bible, the uncountable things He has done for me. :D That’s my King.

Even over the last few weeks, my view of God and what it means to me to simply know Him has been expanding, changing. Unbeknownst to most people, the last few weeks for me were like the aftermath of a spiritual train-wreck. I spent half my time being really frustrated at my parents for not being able to change my subject-combination, and the other half wondering what God wants to achieve through my situation. It may seem pretty silly, (and looking back, it really is), but I guess we all have those times where God challenges us on a very personal level, at a level where only we understand.

However, when I took a step back, I started to realize the situation I was in simply meant that I had to break my own mental barriers of who God is to me. Indeed, now I know that He is Jehovah Jireh, my provider, El Shaddai, God Almighty, Jehovah Shalom, my peace, Jehovah Nissi, the Lord my banner, and so much more. And just in that moment, in that moment where we seek God amidst our struggles and problems, and really be still before Him or when we simply read His Word, he floods our memories with the reminders of what He has done for us so far, what He has promised, and of course of the fact that He is beside us every step of the way. That’s My King.

Our God is indeed INDESCRIBABLE, UNCONTAINABLE, and simply TOO MARVELOUS for words and comprehension.

During my church’s Good Friday service, they played a video adapted from a recording of a famous sermon by Dr. S.M. Lockridge, entitled “That’s My King”. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE&feature=related) And while, God is certainly beyond description, I was really inspired by this video, and simply reminded that, indeed, That’s My King.

Frederick M. Lehman once wrote this in a song entitled “The Love of God”.

“Could we with ink the ocean fill,

And were the skies of parchment made,

Were every stalk on earth a quill,

And every man a scribe by trade,

To write the love of God above,

Would drain the ocean dry.

Nor could the scroll contain the whole,

Though stretched from sky to sky.”

Indeed, Easter Sunday has always been, and will always be about celebrating Jesus’ victory over death and sin, and of his immeasurable, infinite love for us.

Now, do me a favour. Let’s try to picture this. THAT God, OUR God, so LOVED the world, that he gave His ONE and ONLY SON, that WHOEVER believes in HIM shall not perish but have ETERNAL LIFE. And

THAT Jesus,

OUR Jesus, was

flogged,

struck,

spit on,

mocked and finally

crucified,

bearing OUR sin, OUR shame, OUR inequities upon that tree.
Now, say to yourself, That’s MY King.

To end off, Hebrews 12:2:

“ Let us fix our eyes of Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”


In the Truth of God’s Love,
Thaddeus

No comments:

Post a Comment