Sunday 24 May 2009

He's always behind the scenes

to my brothers and sisters in Christ,

i read dear pet's previous post, and realise that lately, i've also been experiencing the same spiritual low. my quiet times seem to perpetually end with my head laying hopelessly on my pillow, softly uttering: "Where are you God?"

i've no particular verse to share, and i'll keep this short (because i'm stuck in army anyway and there's not much time left!). God really taught me a lesson on intimacy with Him today.

intimacy with God doesn't necessarily mean that you'll always feel emotionally and spiritually engaged. in any relationship, there will always be ups and downs. those are alright - during the spiritual highs you feel fully refreshed and ready, during the spiritual lows God stands up for you and you break out in praise. But the problem is with those spiritual 'level grounds', where there's just everyday life, there's nothing particularly exciting.

sometimes God moves in a way that's truly fascinating and awe-inspiring: He leads your friend to believe in Him, or He intervenes miraculously. But most of the time for people like myself (and perhaps you), it's not like that.

day by day, i've learned to realise, that we should also see God in the background - behind the scenes.

last week, while i was confined in army camp, i decided to help my friend to wash his muddy field pack. We all had to wash our field packs so as to pass the imminent inspection by the instructors. My friend had booked out for the week, but I was still in camp, so I decided to give of myself through an act of service. So his field pack was cleaned. But for the entire week, it's as if he never realised - he's never said anything to me, no word of thanks whatsoever, maybe he never even noticed the difference.

Well, i'm not in it for the gratitude. But i think God used this simple example in my life to illustrate to me an important point - God Himself helps us to do many things that we may not even notice or give Him thanks for.

paratroopers need to pack their parachutes. God is the one who packs the parachutes for us - so that when we fall, we have someone to rely on. God is the one who shields us from many spiritual attacks each and every day - it's just that even before we meet the adversary, he has already been severly wounded, or perhaps defeated, by our Father in heaven. God ensures that the temptations that we meet each day are not too difficult for us (1 Cor 10:13).

He's there, behind the scenes, providing for you.
He's there, in the front line, taking down enemies before you meet them.

So instead of praying 'God where are you?"
i prayed for once.
'thanks God, for doing many things which i do not notice each day.
please open my eyes to the things that you do (: "

in Christ name,
amen

No comments:

Post a Comment